Sunday, June 3, 2012

Black Dagger Brotherhood Books 1&2

I've recently started reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward. Instead of doing a separate review for each book, I decided I'd do a group post with mini reviews for the both of them.
"In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race"
Each book in the series highlights one main character, a member of the Brotherhood...

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) Title: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)
Source: Purchased; paperback 416 pages
Challenges: Vampires; 2011 Blogger Recommendation
The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams. 
My Rating: 4 stars
My Thoughts: Let me start off my saying these vampires are nothing like those of the Twilight Saga. Ward creates a interesting world that stands out from its competition thanks to details such as the Brotherhood, the Lessening Society, and The Scribe Virgin.

I liked this book, but I just didn't love it. As far as paranormal romance goes, I thought it was definitely worth the read. The plot line is intense, and super interesting, and the Brothers are just drool-worthy. The one thing that tended to bother me was the spelling of the Brothers' names: Phury, Rhage, Tohrment, Vishous, etc...

Title: Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood #2)
Source: Purchased; paperback 464 pages
Challenges: Vampires
Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetite. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover-for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. 

Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him. When Mary Luce is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world, she must rely on Rhage's protection. Knowing that Mary feels the same intense animal attraction, Rhage must make her his alone...
My Rating: 4 stars
My Thoughts: I enjoyed this second book exponentially more than the first book. I absolutely loved Mary and Rhage's character development and quickly found myself rooting for them to end up happily together! It was extremely interesting to learn all the details of Rhage's "inner dragon" that we only get a glimpse of in Dark Lover. I would definitely recommend this serious to lovers of PR, and I definitely see what all the hype is about now!

Warnings: adult books; mature content: sex & violence

Cover Musings: I don't think the covers are ah-mazing, but I like the monochromatic color scheme on each cover and the fact that they all go together well as a series

Next in Series: Lover Awakened

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...