Monday, August 5, 2013

As They Slip Away by Beth Revis

Title: As They Slip Away (Across the Universe #0.5)
Author: Beth Revis
Source: Free HERE; 48 pages
This novella is the story of the girl Amy meets in the rabbits fields in Across the Universe, and who is murdered in A Million Suns. The novella explores the backgrounds of this character, a singer named Selene, and several other background characters of the novels, including Harley, Kayleigh, Bartie, Victria, and Orion…and, of course, Luthe.
My Rating: 5 stars  ★★★★★
My Thoughts: woooooooo boy. This is some heavy stuff. Yet, that being said, it is also an extremely well written novella... captivating in a tragically beautiful way. In terms of plot, I think the description Beth Revis provides on her website (quoted above) tells more than enough. If I were to add any more details I think it'd spoil the story for other potential readers.

Although this is technically considered "book zero" or "book #0.5" in the series, I would definitely recommend reading this after having read one of the full novels. I read it after finishing Book #2: A Million Suns, and I think that timing is perfect since readers have then already been introduced to the protagonist of this novella (as well as other characters highlighted in the short story), so As They Slip Away reads like a retrospective look on the girl's life through her first-person point of view.

I personally always love novellas that give new insight to background characters, and this was no exception. In my mind, it helps expand the fictional world the author has created for me, showing me how this world isn't only real for the protagonists I encounter in the full novels, but also real for the seemingly insignificant characters too. It's also always interesting to see the same events pan out through different perspectives and viewpoints. I wholeheartedly recommend this to fans of the Across the Universe Trilogy, though it is quite a sad story, so approach with caution.

Warnings: abuse, murder, rape

Related Reviews: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...