Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review: On the Hunt (Paranormal Romance Anthology)

Title: On the Hunt
Authors: Gena Showalter, Shannon K. Butcher, Jessica Anderson, Deidre Knight
Source: won from contest; ARC 432pages
A steamy collection of all-new novellas featuring sexy paranormal hunters. With shadowy creatures, intoxicating magic, vividly imagined worlds, and sizzling passion, this is an anthology no fan of paranormal romance will want to miss.

My Thoughts:
  • Ever Night by Gena Showalter - 5 stars
Synopsis: "Rose Pascal is swept into a dark, haunting world every year on her birthday - a world ruled by a warrior king who hunts her kind. Neither of them can deny the passion that soon consumes them both..."

One word: STEAMY! The romance was pretty intense; definitely not an on-your-break-at-work type of read. I loved the concept of Dimension Walkers, and the "dark" world. I would totally read a full novel based on these characters / concepts! Also, Vasili sounds super hot! I would consider getting the book even if just to read this story. 
  • Red Angel by Shannon K. Butcher - 2.5 stars
Synopsis: "Jamie Angel, leader of the deadly Nightshades, has tracked every kind of monster and demon that roams the darkness, but none of his experiences can prepare him for falling in love with one of the creatures he's trained to destroy."

     Now, this synopsis (from the back cover) is misleading. There is a sort of "forbidden love" in the story, but it's not with a "creature he's trained to destroy"  (perhaps the finished copy has a different blurb though). I wasn't a huge fan of this story for two main reasons:

The first was because there were many mentions of God and what's "proper" [by religious standards] . I didn't enjoy the ample references to religion; it's just not something I feel comfortable reading about, and I also didn't think that it fit well in the story. 

The second thing I didn't like was the slang / colloquial language. It seemed to be a contrived mix of a Southern accent and "hip" words. Examples: "Plus, he's hotter than Sunday pancakes!" "bro" "ya'll" "fixin'", etc.  Once again - just not my thing, but you may enjoy those aspects of the story if that's your reading preference.


General Thoughts: The book also contains short excerpts from Bloodhunt by Shannon K. Butcher and Storm Kissed by Jessica Anderson. I LOVE the cover of this book - it's smokin' hot!! I might have to go out and buy a finished copy just to have that sexy shirtless man on my shelf :p

Warnings: 18+ (this is an not in the YA genre); sex

(Note: I only finished 2 out of the 4 stories so far but this post has been sitting as a draft for wayyyy too long. Will update with brief reviews of the other stories when I get around to finishing them)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...