Friday, March 4, 2011

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Title: Graceling
Author: Kristin Cashore
Source: Library; Paperback 472 pages
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.
My Rating: 5 stars (favorite!) ★★★★★ &
My Thoughts (mini-review):
I read this book a couple of months before starting The Babbling Bookworm, and even then it wasn't a "new" book, but I thought it still deserved some bloggy love for being an incredibly awesome read... hence this mini-review! I'm warning you in advance, it's going to be very informal and stream-of-conscious-ish.

The concept of Gracelings, people graced with a certain skill (cooking, sewing, fighting... could be anything!) and identified by having two different colored eyes, was super fresh and original! I LOVED it! Furthermore, Cashore did an excellent job at world-building - I felt like I was really there along with Katsa. Honestly, this book was what inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at creative writing. I was absolutely amazed at how Cashore was able to create such vivid images out of nothing! I also very much enjoyed the romance in Graceling; it wasn't cliche, and was absolutely adorable ♥. And Katsa was a great easy-to-love character; who doesn't like a badass kick-butt chick?

I recommend this book very highly!

Other Books Like This: Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...